Short shorts are the quintessential summer staple. I’ve been hooked on them since my days working at Abercrombie back in high school although I still cringe when I think about exactly how short they actually were! Unfortunately, I still have pics to prove just how risque I could be back in the good old days. Now that I’m a little older and a little wiser, I’m sticking with slightly longer hemlines and more flattering silhouettes. Keep scrolling to see five ways I found to make shorts more flattering:
1. Opt for a high-waist fit: A higher waist helps elongate and creates a more flattering silhouette.
2. Size up: I always go one size above my normal pants size when I buy shorts. You don’t want them to be too baggy, but too tight and you risk them looking more like hot pants.
3. Wear heels: My legs always look better in heels. Heels force your leg muscles to get to work and the added height adds inches for that “legs for days” effect.
4. Pair them with a classic shirt: When in doubt go with a classic white shirt. This off-the-shoulder bell-sleeve version is one of my latest finds. I love the look of a crisp white shirt. It’s a summer staple.
5. Stick with a solid or neutral color: Black is the most slimming color, but darker denim washes are also universally flattering.
Karen Kane Off-the-Shoulder Top (wearing an XS)
FRAME Denim Black Shorts (wearing a 24)
Givenchy ‘Medium Antigona’ Bag
Dior Addict Lipstick (in color Underground)
Child of Wild Layered Necklace
Public Desire Heels