It’s no secret that I love long luscious curls. I’ve been wearing them since I was in junior high and they’ve taken me years to master. I have naturally fine hair which is inherently tougher to hold curls. I used to think drenching my hair in hairspray was the only way to lock in those curls. Thank goodness there are so many innovative products on the market now that give you all of the hold without all of that crispiness. My curls are pretty easy to master. Here are my top 10 tips for creating perfect curls:
- Dyed hair holds curls better. I get my hair balayaged several times a year. I love the look of it, but I also love the texture that bleach creates. Of course, it depends on your hair type, but it gives my fine hair a little coarseness which isn’t as slippery through a curling iron.
- Stick with a smaller barrel curling iron. This is by far my favorite curling iron. I use the 1 1/4″ barrel which results in tight ringlets that I brush out for a more effortless look.
- Start with a volumizing spray. A volumizing spray not only adds body, but texture too. I’m obsessed with this Oribe one right now. I just bought it last week at my salon. All the stylists there use it and I can see why!
- Texturizing spray is a must. Texture plays such a huge part in achieving long-lasting curls. I recently started using this product by Oribe. I love the strong perfume-y smell. I also alternate between this one by Shu Uemura which has a lighter finish. I really love both!
- Dry shampoo prevents curls from falling flat. I use dry shampoo daily for added texture in my roots. It helps prevent your curls from weighing down your hair. This drugstore version works just as well as those more expensive versions.
For more tips and tricks, check out my full tutorial on how I curl my hair here (tutorial below).